Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Spending Time Where It Matters

I am in the Tampa Airport waiting to board a plane back to Chicago. I came to spend Mother's Day with my own Mother.

My parents are both living. At age 85, Mom is in incredibly good health. Dad struggles. He's got parkinsons disease, diabetes, enlarged prostate, he's a colon cancer survivor--the list is endless. It is incredible however to witness the care that Mom offers Dad. And in his own way, Dad's care for Mom.

It was hard leaving my own family to spend Mother's Day with my Mom. The truth is, I don't know how many more Mother's Days there will be for she and I. It seemed incredibly important to spend time with her here...now.

I realize there are so many places that I spend time that really don't matter. These past couple of days have given me some contemplative time. It has made me realize that none of us knows how many Mother's Days we have. Watching my Mom and Dad after 60 years of marriage makes me know that how important it is that we spend time where it matters--on realtionships that bind, and in places that give us joy.

Where do you spend your time?

No comments:

Post a Comment