Saturday, May 2, 2009

Pacing and Nudging

Yesterday I saw something incredibly sad. Here in Chicago, we've been getting rain by the bucket full! Standing water is everywhere!

I was driving along on a fairly busy two lane road when I noticed Jake and Jessica(the names that we assigned to every male and female duck when my kids were young). I could see Jake pacing steadily and periodically 'nosing' Jessica with his beak. She was not moving. She had been hit by a car sometime before I was passing by.

Jake never left Jessica. Paced and nudged her for an incredibly long length of time. I don't know how long he stayed beside her. I didn't turn my car around to see what would happen next. Tears blinded me.

What I do know is that I was profoundly moved by this scene. It made me realize how quickly life can change. It made me long for my children (3 of whom are not living at home now). It made me recall how when they would see Jake and Jessica, they would squeal with delight. It made me realize that everything at some point will come to an end with none of us knowing when that moment might be.

I want to say I love you before one more moment goes by. You matter. You make a difference. My hope is that you will witness the living companionship of Jake and Jessica in your own life.

This is your nudge.

No comments:

Post a Comment