Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Life Lessons From Amy

Often life teaches us to pay attention to what's important, to say the things that need to be said...to let the people who make up the color and fabric of our lives know that they give our life meaning.

So is the lesson of life this past week. Amy, my mother in law, is in St. Mary's Hospital in Rochester, MN following a stroke.  She has not regained her speech. She will soon be placed in hospice. Some really tender moments happened while we were with her in the hospital . We sang one of her favorite songs to her-- You Are My Sunshine. She lit up. She clearly recognized the song, even trying to sing along. I suspect she relived  lovely memories of days with her grandchildren where she would play the organ and sing that song to them.

Two of my sons came back to IL on New Year's Eve while my husband, daughter, and I stayed back in Minnesota. They came home to find an inch of water in our basement.

At first I was incredibly angry, sad, frustrated ... how much more should we have to endure? I experienced all of the emotions that emerge from darkness.  Then I tried to think about what reallymattered. We had lost things--all of which could be replaced. The reality is, we are losing a matriarch, a love force in our family that cannot be replaced. That's where our focus needs to remain. All of our light needs to surround her now.

I call my brother in law twice a day to hear how things are going. Yesterday, my brother in law put me on speaker phone so that my mother in law could hear my voice. I tell her everyday that I love her, that she has created an amazing family, and that she is loved well beyond what words could ever express.

My vow for 2011 is to put voice more often to the feelings of gratitude for the people in my life that I love. To you, know that you matter--you make a difference in my life. I am eternally grateful to and for you. My hope for all of us is that we will make this commitment. Everyday, let at least one person in your life know that they have made a difference, that they matter. Let them know that your life is better because they have been part of your journey while you are here. What an incredible tribute that would be to Amy.

You matter. You make a difference. I am a better person because you have been a part of my life. I am grateful. Won't you help me share this life lesson from Amy?





For more information on the acceleration of women in business go to http://maureenobrienspeaks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment